All funds raised through Bike Around the Bay benefit the Galveston Bay Foundation.
The mission of the Galveston Bay Foundation (GBF) is to preserve and enhance Galveston Bay as a healthy and productive place for generations to come. GBF has been working to protect Galveston Bay for 30 years by establishing programs that work with all users of the Bay, and by providing volunteer and education opportunities to get people involved and train the next generation of bay stewards. GBF has formed a strong collaboration with citizens, communities, and other partners working on behalf of a healthy Bay.
For more information about the Galveston Bay Foundation, visit our website at www.galvbay.org
In 2017, with your support, we:
- Mobilized 140 volunteers in removing 7,000 pounds of debris at Texas City Prairie Preserve, Morgan's Point, and GBF's Kemah property, and engaged an additional 3 volunteers in repair and dune access work at Galveston Island State Park
- Planted 220 trees at locations including Rich Sanctuary and Turtle Bayou Nature Preserve in Chambers County
- Constructed approximately 575 feet of the Sweetwater Lake Oyster Bar Breakwater, utilizing 65 tons (130,000 pounds) of recycled oyster shells, with assistance from over 350 volunteers during 13 volunteer workdays
- Engaged 1,000 students at 12 schools through the Students in Action environmental education program
- Distributed 316 rain barrels, which have the potential to conserve over 329,000 gallons of water per year
- Grew the Water Monitoring Team from 44 active volunteers to 61 active volunteers at 63 locations and increased monitoring presence in the eastern portion of Galveston Bay. Collected and analyzed 6080 water quality samples, and processed 440 bacteria samples./span>
- Successfully advocated for removal of the dioxin wastes at the San Jacinto River Waste Pits in Channelview by providing official comments to EPA and educating and rallying local community members, recreational fishermen, commercial fishermen, and all 8 local U.S. congressmen to support the call for removal via presentations, editorials, and print/radio/television interviews.
- Released the 2017 Galveston Bay Report Card, with the Bay maintaining an overall grade of "C", and received press coverage including radio and TV interviews and new articles, at least 6 of which were in Spanish
The Galveston Bay Foundation is a four star charity on Charity Navigator!